Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Alexandria, Fairfax & Arlington
ALSO SERVING ALL OF VA, MD, AND DC
Enjoying a walk or jog around the old historic Alexandria neighborhoods can be great for exercise. But even the most careful pedestrian can be at risk. Many drivers around the Northern Virginia area have not embraced the fact that pedestrians on city streets have the right of way or think to look out for them on sidewalks before they are going to cross. At Hickman Law Office our attorneys are experienced in pedestrian accident cases and can help you get back on your feet.
Pedestrian Accidents Increased Year Over Year
According to Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA)they estimate pedestrian fatalities are on the rise. They reveal that, through last year, the upward trend of deaths has continued. In 2019, according to GHSA, pedestrian deaths were up 5 percent compared to the year prior, with 6590 pedestrians killed, the highest number since 1988. That total translates to 2.0 deaths per 100,000 people, which is the highest since 1997.
Possible Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
- Warmer weather when people are out the most
- An increase in cellphone use while driving
- Pedestrians listening to headphones
- Higher vehicle speeds
- Most pedestrian deaths occur in urban areas, at non-intersection locations, and at night.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Increase your visibility at night by carrying a flash-light and wearing reflective clothing
- Cross streets at a designated crosswalk or intersection
- Walk on the sidewalk or path instead of the road and facing traffic if a sidewalk or path is not available
- Avoid the use of electronic devices like earbuds or headphones
- Walking while you have been impaired by alcohol or drugs
Trust Hickman Law for Your Pedestrian Accident Case
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Alexandria, Arlington & Fairfax or in VA, MD, and DC, do not hesitate to contact the pedestrian accident attorneys at Hickman Law Office. All our lawyers have years of experience handling personal injury cases and will work tirelessly throughout the case to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact us today to discuss your personal injury case.